Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Enjoying Fairbanks, Alaska!

Our first destination in Alaska was Fairbanks where we lived from 1995 - 2000.  We drove 4168 miles to get here over a period of  11 days.

Not to offend any of my Texan friends, but everything is bigger in Alaska!  The flowers, oh my gosh, I have never seen such beautiful flowers.  Because of the constant daylight the flowers generally grow bigger.  Here is a hanging basket of tuberous begonias and some other flowers.  The begonia flowerheads are 2" or more across and so beautiful.  Of course, the cool climate also helps.  Fuschia is another of my favorite flowers and they are spectacular here.  Haven't seen any to photo yet but when I do, I will share with you.
.  

Our first night in Fairbanks we had dinner at a favorite restaurant, The Turtle Club, with a great friend that I worked with.  The Turtle Club has been in Fairbanks forever!  It's actually out of town, in a little community called Fox, has a gravel parking lot and generally is always full of hungry patrons.  Their menu is not extensive but what they do, they do right.  Prime rib and halibut, I think there's something else on the menu but I don't know what it is.  Maybe prawns?


My friend Kathy, I love that she's taller than me, LOL!!


Snapped this picture on the way home at 9:45.  Notice the bright sun shining on the median.  Sunset is not for another 3 hours.  The sun travels in a circle when you are this far north, rather than the east to west arc that you see in the lower 48.  So, the sun travels in it's circle and dips below the horizon for just a little over 2 hours this time of the year.  Even though the sun is not above the horizon, it is still light outside, you really don't need headlights to drive.  You can cut the grass at midnight if you want!  

Ohhh, when we first moved here we lived in an apartment in town and the kids were outside playing, i.e. screaming as kids  do, at midnight.  Sleeping with the light and the noise was about impossible!  Once I adjusted to the constant daylight, I loved it though we did have blackout shades in our bedroom.  Right now I am having trouble as there is a sky light over the shower and the light shines right in my eyes.  Gotta get something to cover that!





I have been very fortunate in my life and worked for some really great people but no one has been as wonderful as the CPA firm I worked for in Fairbanks, Walsh, Kelliher & Sharp.  We had dinner and drinks outside on a deck at The Pump House beside the Chena River with two of the principals from the firm.  Loved catching up with them!



Here's the inside of The Pump House.  It's on the National Historic Register and is great restaurant with its vintage Alaska interior decor.



We've spent much of our time in Fairbanks  visiting with friends going to places that we enjoyed when we lived here.  Sunday champagne brunch at Pike's Landing was definitely a favorite, especially on a nice summer day like we had this past Sunday.  This was our view!


Hope everyone at home is doing well!  Sending love and hugs from the far north to you all.


3 comments:

  1. WOW! You are so blessed to be able to travel and enjoy life like you are doing with your wonderful husband! ENJOY and keep writing! Love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the pics! Beautiful days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having a blast! I love learning more about places I've never been!

    ReplyDelete