Saturday, July 20, 2019

Pictures around Homer

We were in Homer more than two weeks ago but I am just finding the time to post these photos. I'm way behind on blog posts, sorry.  Too busy having fun to sit at a computer! (Some were already of face book but I want to capture them all on this blog.)

Here I am bending my elbow in the Salty Dog Saloon.  It seems to have become a real tourist attraction but the first time I was here back in 1992 there were a lot of locals in the bar.  The walls are covered in dollar bills and some foreign currency from all over the world.  It's just what you do there, I don't know why.  There is a bell hanging at the bar with a rope hanging down to ring the bell.  Well DON'T RING the BELL!!  'Cause if you do, it means drinks all around for the bar on you!


In addition to all the money hanging from the walls and ceilings, there are articles of clothing: bras and panties.  It must get kinda crazy in there late at night!  


Time to go to church, now that we've been to the bar! 😃 This is a Russian Orthodox Church in Ninilchek.  There are a number of Russian Orthodox Churches in Alaska, remnants from when Russia owned Alaska.


I thought the cemetery was so pretty with all the wild flowers growing.

The church sits up on a bluff overlooking Cook Inlet and this is the view.  God's creation is amazing.



This quilt was hanging in the Wasilla Transportation Museum and was being raffled off.  I thought it was so pretty and well done!  The barn on the quilt is at the Museum and they are raising money to save the barn which is in need of some TLC.
 

We're about to head down the Cassiar Hwy in Canada and there are very few services along the way.  I'll be surprised if we have any internet service!  So I need to get busy and share some more photos with you!  Stay tuned...

As always, thanks for following along on our journey, we are having a great time!


2 comments:

  1. Oh MY! What an interesting bar! NEAT! Thx for sharing all your adventures, you naughty girl! ha

    ReplyDelete